Monday 28 December 2015

Minimalism in Islam

Islam promotes moderation and shuns extravagance or extremism in any avenue of life. It encourages people to fulfill their basic needs moderately, without wasting any resources.
In Islam, there is a constant reminder of death and the afterlife. We are told to 'Be in this life like a stranger or a traveller'
Unfortunately,in this day and age of materialism and consumerism, it's easy to end up accumulating lots of stuff that we don't need which end up cluttering up our homes.

Fortunately, there's a good deal of people out there who have started websites and blogs about "minimalist living". They're not Muslims either, they're just people who prefer the simplicity of a nice clean home with the philosophy that less stuff is more living. Lucky for us though, we can use their tips to help us live like travellers.
The misconception of minimalism to most people is that you have a bare  home with no tv, and no possessions whatsoever.
This isn't true.
I consider myself a minimalist.
Here's my example of minimalism in my life : A minimalist wardrobe.

(1) Picking out 30pcs of my 'best' clothing
Right now, I have 30 pcs of clothing lined up in my closet. Most of these pcs are 'multifunctionial'. Think 1 blouse, 3 different looks. I try to dress my best at all times.
(2) Getting ready in the morning becomes easy as pie
The upside is that it's much faster to get dressed in the morning when you can clearly see all your favourite clothing hanging in the closet. Plus,
I have less laundry to deal with.
(3) Quality over quantity
Think quality over quantity. It's very easy to find 30 pcs of clothing that you feel comfortable and confident in.
(4) My clothing is displayed nicely
They can actually breathe.
I have reduced my scarves to 15 pcs. They are all laid out nicely as if they were showcased in a clothing store.
(5) Shopping under the bed
Having only 30 pcs of clothing in my closet doesn't mean that I don't own anymore clothing. I do.
I keep the excess clothing and scarves in storage casings underneath my bed and when I start getting bored of my 30pc wardrobe, I 'shop' under the bed first, haha, before I hit the stores.
Usually, if you really look into your closet, you'll find that sometimes when you think you want to go shopping for a pair of white pants, for instant, it's actually already there in your closet.
Want proof? I bet you have 5 different scarves in the same colour and you always end up wearing only one of them anyway? ðŸ˜„
Embracing minimalism or choosing to live simply has changed my life drastically and positively in so many ways. I'm still learning. I think a true Muslim woman minimalist would be those women wearing black abayas every day throughout the year. I'm not there yet. ðŸ˜‚
In the end, we'll all leave our worldly possessions. This world is temporary. I choose to seek experiences and relationships instead of material things. May Allah guide me to do good deeds with the rizq (sustenance) that I'm blessed with. Amin.

No comments:

Post a Comment