Wednesday 29 March 2017

Two months into my career break and this is what I learned about being a stay (and work) at home mom

Career break
After having baby number 2, I didn't feel like going back to work. Maybe it was the baby blues where your hormones go all wacko on you. Or maybe it was just in the wide-eyed doting and admiring of a brand new baby boy. Whatever it was, I knew I wasn't ready to go back to work teaching at university. 

SAHM, WAHM, or Full-time job?
If you’ve ever considered trying to choose between the mom-job options available: I’m talking about the stay-at-home-mom; work-at-home-mom; or full time working mom;, here’s my take on experiencing all three roles with two young children. I’m sharing my personal thoughts on the currencies that we struggle with the most - money and time.

No salary?
Taking a break from my career in teaching meant no salary. Although I knew I couldn't spend as much as I do on a full salary, (and part of the reason why I do like my job is because of the pay, and how I’m able to spend it on little luxuries that make my family happy), I still wanted a shot at having time off of work to spend time with my kids at home.

I’m the kind of mom who’s attached to her kids 24/7 (more than she’s willing to admit.) So in addition to my 3 months maternity leave, I decided to take an extra 6 months off from work. I had enough savings to not have to worry about money so I thought I’d figure out if this whole stay-at-home mom job was something I could do for the rest of my life. I really needed to see if I was capable of becoming a full time child-minder. Also, I do get bored easily, so I knew I was going to be working from home too.

Things I learned
Along the way, these are things I learned about money and time while being a stay (and work) at home mom:

1. MONEY
While you may have the time to rest whenever you want to, it’s a tougher world out here when you don't get a paycheck at the end of every month. 

However, if you’re willing, it’s absolutely possible to live with half of your usual salary (even with a house and car mortgage to pay).You heard me right. Half of your salary.

Luxuries
This, at first, seemed impossible to me. I thought I’d run out of my savings by the third month but things look pretty good at the moment. All it takes is a little budgeting and high discipline. When I recorded my spending habits, I realized how much money I was spending on unnecessary things like clothing, toys, entertainment and dining out. What used to be the norm of dining out with my family is now considered an occasional treat. I now understand what it’s like to walk in the shoes of those in the lower income group. It's a humbling experience.

Budget
I learned to take on the 'imagine I'm a student' mindset and become a cheapo. I reflected on a time when I was a student and I survived with my RM265 study allowance which was sufficient for my monthly expenses at one point in my life. With this mindset, I cut my family's spending in half. (I'll share about 'living on a basic budget by choice so that you can save money for international travel’ in another post)

Free stuff
I learned to enjoy the simpler things in life. It's true that the best things in life are free. For me, this takes the form of picnics, projects, parks, playgrounds, and pleasurable family gatherings. For the expensive things that I wanted my children to experience, I saved up, and found ways to get the best discounts (which you absolutely can with a little ol’ google search).

The verdict?
If enjoying the simpler things in life isn’t for you, then I can’t recommend that you’ll be happy if you decide to quit your job. I’m not going to lie, there were times when I felt like I wanted to go back to work so that I could get a paycheck at the end of the month. As a woman, the freedom of being able to spend your money on whatever you want, is actually very liberating. As a muslim wife, I do get my monthly ‘nafkah’ (allowance) from my other half, but it’s not the same.

2. TIME
It goes without saying that you have more freedom and free time when you stay at home. It’s so relaxing to be able to sleep in when you’re really tired which you can’t do when you have a job to wake up to. That being said, I am almost never as exhausted as I did when I was teaching. The adequate rest made my body feel healthier, more refreshed and my skin better. Not having to face traffic during rush hour meant no stress early in the morning. Instead, I wake up to happy giggly little faces who are excited to see me. Also, as a Muslim, staying at home gives me more time for ibadah (meditation). So I can say I am much calmer in a sense.

Job woes
There were times when I was absolutely thankful to be at home and didn’t miss my job at all. I’m not an active person by nature so being constantly on the move was stressful for me. I didn’t miss my work because I lived in my car most of the time during the day. I think most of us working moms live in our cars more than in our homes. My classes were located at different faculties all over the campus in Bangi and KL. Fighting for a parking spot at every single faculty I taught at was not fun. There were times that I had to teach from 4-6pm which was not at my optimal time and it was draining my energy. On top of that, the syllabus for some of the courses that I taught was just crazy to be able to achieve in 14 weeks. Being an overachiever, I had to make sure that I covered the syllabus and that students actually take away something from the courses I teach. Sometimes, that led to burn-out.

Bright side
When you experience burn-out, you lose all sense of motivation. I am usually highly motivated, and I thrive on reading, learning and implementing new ideas. But when you come back from work feeling exhausted you just forget to do the things you love. Having more time on my hands, I reflected on the things I loved about my job. This includes connecting with students, car-pooling with my colleagues to KL while sharing ideas on pedagogy and just having a good time really, being blessed with understanding and kind colleagues, and having supportive mentors/leaders/bosses.


The verdict?
Was I happier? Not necessarily. Too much time on my hands often gave me time to ponder over trivial things. Sometimes I would be excessively worried over small issues and dwell on insignificant problems. I now realize that all roots of my anxiety come when I have too much time on my hands. Having said that, it’s much better to be super busy and  become exhausted at the end of the day having achieved things in your life than it is to be free, laid back and feel like you haven’t gotten yourself anywhere and haven't done anything.

That’s why I decided to transition from a SAHM to a WAHM. In my next post, I’ll share with you how impossible it can be to work from home and how fulfilling it could be if you learn to do it right.

Do you like your current role now? What would you change if you could do anything now?

No comments:

Post a Comment