Sunday 26 March 2017

Morning habits of a Muslim Mom

I wrote this post three years ago on my old blog and I find that its still relevant up until today.
I've recently learned to wake up early. By early, I mean at 5am.
It’s actually a really good idea to wake up way before anyone else in the house does. Why? Here are some benefits that I experienced
1. Spend 30-45 mins for mindful Fajr prayers.
Meditation is widely known to give a calm effect on your body, mind and soul.
I think that as a Muslim, taking 30 minutes first thing in the morning to calm my nerves before facing the chaotic hustle bustle of life is the best daily therapy ever. With fajar prayer, and by reading 3 pages from the Quran, and some Zikr, magic happens. Praise Allah for all His blessings, and remember that we are nothing without what He has bestowed on us.
I promise you, if you do this, you will feel a sense of calmness that not even an earthquake could get you into a panicky flight mode.
2.  Set Good Intentions
Do I intend to do my best and give it my all today? Yes. I intend to eat healthy, I intend to be productive at work, I intend to be the reason someone smiles today, I intend to be kind and considerate to others, I intend to prepare wholesome meals for my family and I intend to make small changes to make me a better person, to make the world a better place to live in.
When you start your day with good intentions, with a good frame of mind – you’re ready to take on any challenge that comes your way.
3. Listen to Motivational Audio while Cooking Breakfast 
It goes without saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives you not only physical strength, but also the energy to take on mental challenges.
While preparing breakfast, invest some time in self-development. Listen to podcasts or even youtube videos to learn more skills or knowledge on any area you want to be good at.
I usually listen to TED talks and Islamic podcasts.
I keep in mind that I am the average of the 5 people I spend my time with. I want these scholars and great thinkers to be part of my circle, so that’s when I spend time with them.
4. Introspective Time with Coffee
I take my time to savour my breakfast and I enjoy my morning coffee. I usually sit in front of my laptop and read. When I read, I learn something new. When I learn something new, it makes me happy. When I learn something new I write about it in my journal. It's funny, but I find that when I’m happy I eat less. 
There’s science behind this, so figure out what ‘fills you up’ and you’ll eat less. Learning and writing 'fills me up'. Find what 'fills you up'.
5. Have breakfast with family
This is the time of the day that we sit as a family and talk for 30 mins. Each child gets some attention from mom and dad and we entertain simple food and drink requests. We also make sure everyone starts the day with a healthy meal that includes fruits. A full tummy is the start of a happy day. 
6. Leave the house at the same time every day
I usually have my outfits ready during the weekends. My outfits are usually lined up for the whole week. That way I don’t waste time thinking about what to wear! We all know that a girl has a wardrobe full of clothes and nothing to wear. Just go with what you feel beautiful in. Chuck out the rest to charity.
7. Use commuting time to work wisely
Again, listen to positive talks, positive music (like Nasyeed or Selawat) or anything that can lift your spirit up. Focus on being positive and start the day with a smile.
Rise earlier to be happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment